Derinkuyu Underground City museum is 31 km (19 mile) far to Nevsehir centurum. The biggest underground city in Cappadocia Region, Derinkuyu is 29 km far from Nevsehir.
Being host of many civilizations in the history, this city was used for defense and hiding purposes during spread of Christianity. Furthermore, “marble eagle statue” found in an area closed to visit proves that this underground city was also used during the Roman period.
In this huge city which can meet the accommodation, defense, food and worship requirements of thousands of people is also located barn, cellar, dining hall, church, winery, school of missionaries and burial chambers. Confessionals, baptism pool and well are among the most attracting places of the city.
Total number of floors of Derinkuyu is not clearly known, but 8 floors are open to visit. In this city which was constructed deep in the underground before very long years, you will witness the history.
Open daily between 08:00-17:00.
Please send us an email to get further information and book tours.
PLACES TO VISIT IN CAPPADOCIA
- Goreme Open Air Museum: cave churches with frescoes
- Pasabag: mushroom-shaped fairy chimneys, monks valley
- Devrent: animal-shaped fairy chimneys, imagination valley
- Ihlara Valley: the deepest gorge of Anatolia
- Uchisar: Roman rock-cut castle
- Ortahisar: Roman rock-cut castle
- Avanos: center of pottery since the Hittites
- Zelve Open Air Museum: a cave town with churches
- Kaymakli Underground City: the largest underground city
- Derinkuyu Underground City: the deepest underground city
- Hacibektas: center of Bektasi sect of Islam
- Gulsehir: first settlements in Cappadocia
- Cave Churches: churches located in the valleys
- Caravanserais: 13th century hotels on the silk road